Honda Odyssey is a Minivan that you can own in Kenya. In this article, we will cover this car, details that we will look at include prices of Honda Odyssey for sale in Kenya, full specifications of the car, maintenance tips and a buying guide for anyone who wants to get the vehicle.
The car was introduced in 1994 by Honda. It is currently on its 5th generation that was introduced in 2013. This is a multi-purpose vehicle, that is, it can be used in both business and family events, however, it is best suited for family use. It competes with other Vans such as the Toyota Noah.
Honda Odyssey features
If you are wondering if this is the right car for you, check the specifications it comes with below to make your decision.
1. Honda Odyssey exterior
The exterior of this vehicle is basic yet attractive.
Here are the exterior specs:
- This is a 5 doors minivan(two front, two rare and the tailgate)
- The minimum ground clearance is 5.7 inches, this is however below the required 6.5 inches on Kenyan roads
- The car either comes with steel or alloy wheels depending on the grade(alloy rims are better and are available on higher grades)
- Most recent models have foglights
- The headlights are LED
- At the back, you find the taillights that give an attractive appearance from behind
- Also, recent models come with rear privacy glass
2. Honda Odyssey interior
The interior of the Odyssey is roomy and gives a comfortable ride. Another luxurious car from this manufacturer is the Honda HR-V.
Below is a list of interior features:
- Honda Odyssey is a 6 to 8 seater(comes with two or three rows)
- The legroom for this car is great on all rows and so is the headroom
- Recent models come with heated seats
- The boot space is enough to carry medium-sized luggage, however, the seats can be folded to give an even larger space
- Like in most vehicles, you will find cabin storage spaces that include cupholders and door storage compartments
- On the touch screen, you find the touchscreen display that helps you operate features like the Navigation system
- Airbags and airconditioning are other additional features for the car
3. Honda Odyssey engine specs
The car is fitted with an engine that is powerful and has relatively good fuel economy.
Below are the engine specifications:
- The engine capacity is 2400cc there is also a 2000cc hybrid(has an electric motor)
- When it comes to fuel consumption, the minivan covers around 10 to 15km/l
- The power ranges between 145 to 210ps
- Most of the recent models can with CVT(Continous Variable Transmission) instead of the auto or manual gear types
- You can choose between a Front Wheel Drive(FF) or All Wheel Drive(AWD)
- The tank capacity is 60 liters
Prices Honda Odyssey for sale in Kenya
Here are the prices of Honda Odyssey models on sale in the Kenyan market including towns like Mombasa, Nairobi, Kisumu, Nakuru, Eldoret, etc.
- 2015 model- Ksh 1.7M
- 2016 model- Ksh 2.1M
- 2017 model- Ksh 2.6M
- 2018 model- Ksh 2.9M
- 2019 model- Ksh 3.2M
- 2020 model- Ksh 3.5M
- 2021 model- Ksh 4.2M
The prices above will vary depending on various factors such as; is the car new or secondhand, what is the mileage, are you importing or buying from a local yard, what is the car grade and more. That being said, with Ksh 1.2M and above, you will get yourself a Honda Odyssey in good condition in Kenya.
Honda Odyssey Buying guide in Kenya
When getting your vehicle, there are things you can do to ensure that you get the best value for your money. Here are some tips for you.
- Write down all the features and specs you want for your Honda Odyssey
- Decide the grade you want with regard to the features
- Choose whether you want to buy a new car or a secondhand
- Decide whether to import or to buy locally
- Check for prices of models with the features you picked
- If the model prices are above your budget, check for specs you can forego and choose models with the revised specs and within your budget
- When making your purchase, be wary of cons, avoid online-only deals
- If purchasing a second, use a mechanic to help you in inspection
Here are some things to look for before completing the purchase:
- Check for the general condition of the vehicle(exterior, interior and engine)
- Make sure the vehicle starts at very few attempts
- Ensure that the engine is not noisy
- Body vibration should be minimal
- Check for gear shift problems
- Check the mileage, the lower the better
- A secondhand car should be accident-free
The hybrid Odyssey is better when it comes to fuel consumption, that being said, it is worth noting that maintaining a hybrid car is costlier, the cost of replacing damaged batteries is usually very high. Also, the AWD consumes more than the FF, although, it is the best pick for rough roads.
Importing a car especially if you are going for a secondhand one will mean getting a possibility of getting a well-maintained one. However, the process might be long and you will have to wait, you should also be careful of cons. Buying one locally will be fast but might be at a higher price.
Some of the problems reported by users of the Odyssey include engine vibration, braking system issues, transmission problems, car start failure and water leaks. These problems can however be avoided with proper maintenance.
Maintenance of Honda Odyssey in Kenya
The maintenance cost of a Honda Odyssey is generally average. Some engine spare parts are available with ease especially due to the fact that the vehicle can use other Honda vehicles parts. Here are some tips to apply to get long services from the vehicle:
- Read the Owner’s manual to get full instructions on the vehicle usage
- Always check for coolant and oil levels to ensure they aren’t low
- Increase the ground clearance since the 5.7 inches of the car may be problematic especially when cruising bumps
- After 5,000 Kilometers to 7,500 Kilometers, take the car for service
- Use clean fuel and replace worn fuel filter
- Use the recommended transmission fluid
- Drive carefully
Above is a look at Honda Odyssey in Kenya. We hope that you found the article helpful. Cheers!!