Mini Multi-Purpose Vehicles are a top choice among Kenyans, among the MPVs you can own is the Honda Freed. In this article, we will look at this car in detail including full specifications, prices of different Honda Freed models available for sale in Kenya and a buying for those who want to buy the vehicle.
The car has been in production since 2008 by Honda, a Japanese automobile manufacturer. It is built on the Honda fit platform and there have been two generations. The latest generation was launched in 2016. Honda freed is a mini MVP that can be used both as a family car and for business.
Honda Freed Specifications
The car comes with various specs that keep it at top of its competitors, let us look at them below.
1. Honda Freed exterior
The car has a curvy exterior that makes it more attractive than its rivals such as the Toyota Sienta.
Here is a list of its exterior features:
- Honda Freed is a 5 doors car(two front, two back and the tailgate)
- The ground clearance is 6.5 inches and above depending on the model which is good since the requirement on Kenyan roads is 6.5 and above
- Freed has double slide automatic back doors
- The LED lights give the car an attractive look
- Higher grades come with alloy wheels while standard ones have steel rims
- Similarly, higher grades have foglights
- Lastly, there are different colors to choose from in the different models of Honda Freed cars
2. Honda Freed interior
Like most Honda cars, the interior of this vehicle is spacious and comfortable. This is yet another place where Freed beats its rivals.
Have a look at the interior specs:
- The car comes as a five-seater/six-seater/seven-seater, this means it can have two or three rows
- The legroom is spacious, even tall people will find it comfortable on all rows
- When it comes to headroom, the vehicle is tall giving enough space
- The boot space is small, however, the second and third rows can be folded giving a large cargo-carrying space
- Cabin storage is also looked into in the car, you will find cupholders, door panel storage spaces, seat jacket pockets, etc
- Additionally, there is a screen that comes with features such as the navigation system
- For safety purposes, the car is fitted with SRS Airbags
3. Honda Freed Engine Specs
The engine of the car is made to be fuel efficient while still completing its task.
Here are the engine specifications:
- The engine capacity is either 1500cc or 1500cc hybrid(comes with an electric motor)
- The fuel consumption coverage of the 1500cc is between 12.5km/l to 20km/l while the hybrid will cover 21km/l to 24km/l
- When it comes to acceleration, the 1500cc accelerates from 0 to 100km/h in about 13.9 seconds
- The engine power ranges between 88 to 131 hp
- You can choose between a Front Wheel Drive(FF/2WD) and an All-Wheel Drive(AWD/4WD)
- Most engines come with a 5-speed automatic transmission or Continous Variable Transmission(CVT) gear types
- The tank capacity is 42 Liters
Prices of Honda Freed for sale in Kenya
Although the car is not as popular as its rivals in the Kenyan market, you will still find it on sale in major towns such as Mombasa, Kisumu, Nairobi, Nakuru, Eldoret, etc. Here is its average market cost.
- 2015 model- Ksh 1.6M
- 2016 model- Ksh 1.7M
- 2017 model- Ksh 1.9M
- 2018 model- Ksh 2.5M
- 2019 model- Ksh 2.7M
- 2020 model- Ksh 2.85M
- 2021 model- Ksh 3.5M
The above is just an average of the market prices. This might change depending on the seller and the condition of the vehicle. However, with Ksh 1.0M and above, you will get yourself a Honda Freed in good condition in Kenya.
Honda Freed Buying guide in Kenya
In order to get a car in very good condition and ensure that you do not lose your money, there are things you should do. Below, we give you the tips.
- Put down the features and specs of the Freed that you want
- Find out the price range of the model with the exact features you have
- Check to see if the cost is within your budget, if not, see the models within your budget and confirm that you are okay with the specs they have
- Decide where to get your car from (you can either import or buy locally for both new and second hand)
- To avoid losing money to cons, avoid online-only deals, also do a background check for the dealers to ensure they are trustworthy
- It is also advisable to use a mechanic especially when buying a secondhand vehicle
Below are things that you should look for before completing the purchase:
- General condition and appearance of the vehicle(interior, exterior and engine)
- Verify the documentation and ensure that the chassis number and engine number are what is in the logbook
- If secondhand, it should be accident-free
- Check for the mileage of the vehicle, a lower mileage is always better
- Ensure the car is not failing to start or starts only after many attempts
- Check for gear shift problems
Honda Freed is generally a good car when it comes to fuel consumption. The hybrid version is even better since it consumes less, however, the maintenance of the hybrid can be high especially when it comes to battery replacements. A 2WD drive also consumes less than a 4WD but is not suitable for rough grounds.
Some of the problems reported by Honda Freed users include CVT failure, engine vibrations and loss of power.
Honda Freed maintenance in Kenya
Honda Freed has an average maintenance cost, some spare parts will be easily available since they can be shared with other Honda vehicles, which in turn, makes them cheap. On the other hand, other parts are hard to find locally making them expensive.
There are things that one can do to ensure a longer service from the car, here are some tips:
- Ensure your read the owner’s manual thoroughly to understand instructions on how to use the vehicle
- Always check for the coolant and oil levels, top-up if they are low
- Drive carefully to avoid accidents
- Take the car for service every 5,000 kilometers
- Avoid dirty fuel
- Always replace the fuel filter when worn out
- Use recommended transmission fluid
Above is a look at Honda Freed, we hope you found the article helpful. Cheers!!