Toyota Porte is one of the most popular compact vehicles in Kenya. In this article, we are going to look at this vehicle in detail, including; prices of Toyota Porte in Kenya, models available, full specs of the car and a buying guide at the end for anyone who wants to get this vehicle.
The car is was introduced in 2004 by Toyota. There have been two generations of the vehicle with the most recent being the second that was introduced in 2012. Porte is among the few compact vehicles that can be used both as a business car(taxi in most cases) and a family car. Other cars from Toyota close to this one include Toyota Ractis and Toyota Passo.
Toyota Porte Specs
Despite the size of this car, it comes with various features that make it up to the task. Let us look at these features below.
3. Toyota Porte exterior
This is a compact car that has a boxy-like appearance.
Here is what the exterior has to offer:
- Comes either as a 3 door or 4 doors hatchback car(tailgate included)
- The back door is a sliding one which can either be manual or electric powered
- Most Porte cars come with steel rims
- The ground clearance is 5.9 inches which are below the 6.5 inches that are a standard requirement for Kenyan roads
- Porte comes in different colors
2. Toyota Porte interior
The interior of the car is roomy but basic.
Here is what the inside of this car is like:
- This a 5 seater car
- The legroom is spacious in both the first and the second rows
- Since the car is tall, the headroom is good too
- The boot space is medium and can only carry medium-sized luggage
- In the cabin, you will find different cabin storage spaces, this includes cupholders, door panels compartments and seat jacket pockets
- For safety purposes, the car is fitted with airbags
3. Toyota Porte engine specs
Let’s see what the engine of this car has to offer in this section.
Below are the specs of Toyota Porte:
- The engine capacity is either 1300cc or 1500cc
- When it comes to fuel consumption, the 1300cc covers around 19.6km/l while the 1500cc covers around 19.0Km/l
- The 1300cc accelerates from 0 to 100km/h in about 13.9 seconds while 1500cc takes about 13.4 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 100km/h
- You can choose between a 2WD and 4WD
- The gear type in most models of Porte is Continuous Variable Transmission
- The tank capacity is 42 Liters
Others include I-stop which puts off the car when on idle mode, an Anti-braking system, EBD, TRC and VSC.
Toyota Porte prices in Kenya
Here are the prices of Toyota Porte for sale in Kenya, this includes major towns like Mombasa, Kisumu, Nairobi, Nakuru, Thika, Eldoret, etc.
- 2015 Model: Ksh 960,000
- 2016 Model: Ksh 1.2M
- 2017 Model: Ksh 1.3M
- 2018 Model: Ksh 1.5M
- 2019 Model: Ksh 1.6M
- 2020 Model: Ksh 1.75M
- 2021 Model: Ksh 1.9M
It is important to understand that the above prices are average of the market price and will change depending on various factors. This includes whether the car is a second hand from Japan, a local second, a new from Japan or a brand new in local yards. Also, where or the dealer you get the car from will lead to cost variations. In addition, the grade and engine capacity of each model is a determinant. A brand new Vitz can go up to Ksh two million.
Porte buying guide in Kenya
To get the best value for your money, you will need to make the right decisions. Below are some tips you can use:
- Decide all features that you need for your vehicle. From the exterior appearance, engine specs to interior appearance, just write them down
- Check with various dealers and online for prices of the model with your specs requirements
- If the model price is too high for your budget, check which latest model has close specs and go for it
- Now decide where you want to get your car from(You can import a used car from Japan, buy a new one from Japan, buy a new one from local yards or even a used one locally)
- Make sure you are keen to avoid losing money to cons, avoid online-only deals
- If the car is second hand, hire a mechanic to check it for any malfunction before you decide to buy it
- For second-hand cars, they should be accident-free, you should also ensure that the seller has all required ownership documents.
Each method of acquiring a vehicle has its ups and downs. For example, while acquiring a vehicle from local yards is simple and does not require a lot of waiting time, the price might be a bit higher. On the other hand, importing through a car dealer might be slightly cheaper but will require you to wait for a longer time. Buying from the owner might be cheaper, however, it means you risk getting a vehicle with problems and that might be the reason the owner is selling it.
You should also check for various things before completing the purchase of your Porte. Here are some of the problems to check for:
- The general condition e.g are there dents on the body? are all parts such as doors functioning? etc
- Is the car failing to start or starting only after so many attempts?
- Engine noise, body vibrating, shaking and stalling
- Problems in shifting gears
Maintenance cost of Porte in Kenya
Porte is generally a good car since it has a low maintenance cost, however, you will have to give good care from your side. Here are some maintenance tips to use:
- Read the user manual to understand everything on how to use the vehicle
- Take your car for regular service checks
- Avoid dirty fuel and always ensure that the fuel filter is clean plus not worn out
- Always ensure that your Vitz have required coolant and oil levels
- Avoid bumpy and rough roads where possible
- Lastly, avoid careless driving, this might lead to accidents hence deteriorating your vehicle
In conclusion, above is a look at Toyota Porte in Kenya. We hope you find this information helpful. We wish you are the best as you acquire your car. Cheers!!