When making a purchase decision, it is important to have full information in order to choose the best. That is why in this review, we will look at Toyota Axio, one of the popular saloon cars in Kenya. Details that we are going to cover include the price of Axio in the Kenyan market, models available, full specs of the car and some buying tips.
The car is manufactured by Toyota and was introduced in the market in 2007. In 2013, it was redesigned to make it more fuel-efficient. Axio was made as an improvement of the Toyota Corolla that came before it. As you will see below, this car is comfortable and a nice pick for a family car.
Toyota Axio Features
The car comes in different models with yearly improvements. However, there are main specs that you will not lack in Toyota Axio. Let us look at these specs below.
1. Toyota Axio exterior
The car has a Saloon design(the boot is separated from the front). In general, the outside look of Axio cars is attractive.
Here is are the exterior specs:
- Has Four doors(two at the front and two rear)
- Axio ground clearance of 6.3 inches
- The Luxel model has alloy wheels and fog lights
As you can see, The car is designed with fewer exterior features but is still attractive. Other similar Toyota cars include Toyota Allion and Premio.
2. Toyota Axio Interior
Axio, just like most Toyota cars interiors is simply designed while still providing comfort.
Here is what you will find inside Axio cars:
- The car is a 5 seater
- All seats have headrests
- The legroom space is okay and even tall people will find it comfortable
- The headroom is also good
- The boot space is small just like in other saloon cars and can only carry small seized luggage
- Additional storage spaces for documents and similar stuff is available on the cabin, center box and doors, cupholders included
- The car comes with power windows
- Has a reverse camera
- Additionally, there is an audio system that includes a radio and CD player
- Lastly, Airbags are added for safety purposes
3. Toyota Axio Engine specs
The engine of the Axio has been improved with time to be more fuel-efficient. There is even a hybrid model of the Axio.
Below is a list of the engine specs:
- The engine capacity of Axio is 1500cc, 1800cc and 1500cc hybrid
- The fuels consumption will depend on the engine capacity and is as follows; the 1500cc consumes 18Km/L while the 1800cc consumes 15Km/L and the hybrid 1500cc consumes 35.4Km/L
- When it comes to acceleration, the 1500cc accelerates from 0 to 100Km at 11.2 seconds, the 1800cc takes 10 seconds to accelerate from o to 100Km and the hybrid 1500cc takes 11.2 seconds to accelerate to 100 Km from 0
- The engine power is between 95 and 144ps, the higher the power, the faster the car
- You can either choose an All Wheel Drive(AWD) Axio or a Front Wheel Drive(FF)
- The tank capacity of the Axio is 50 Liters
- Each model comes with its grade and engine capacity, for the 1500cc, the grade is either Axio G or Axio X, the 1800cc has the Luxel grade while the hybrid 1500cc has the Hybrid and Hybrid G grades
In addition, Axio models will come with other features such as; Power steering, Traction Control, Anti-lock Breaking system and Thumbstart ignition.
Prices of Toyota Axio in Kenya
Here are the prices of different models of Axio that you will get in major Kenyan towns including, Mombasa, Nairobi, Kisumu, Nakuru, Thika, Eldoret, etc.
- 2015 Model- Ksh 1.3M
- 2016 Model- Ksh 1.45M
- 2017 Model- Ksh 1.7M
- 2018 Model- Ksh 1.9M
- 2019 Model- Ksh 2.0M
- 2020 Model- Ksh 2.5M
- 2021 Model- Ksh 2.9M
The prices above will vary depending on various factors. For example, a new car will not cost the same as a secondhand, the same case applies to the cost of imported and local cars. The model and the particular grade plus engine capacity will also influence the cost. However, with Ksh 1.3M onwards, you can get a Toyota Axio in good condition.
Toyota Axio Buying guide in Kenya
When buying your car, you should ensure that first, you have your budget planned. After that, have a list of the Specs that you want for your Axio, check for the prices of the model with the specs to see if they’re within your budget. If they are above your budget, see closer models to your specs that are within the budget.
You will also have to decide whether to import your car or you are to buy it locally. Each method has its advantage and disadvantages. Also, you should pick between a secondhand and a new car. When buying a secondhand involve a mechanic to do the inspection on your behalf.
To avoid being conned, avoid online-only deals. Verify all documentation and pay only when satisfied. You should also be careful not to have your choice switched, for example, you can choose a 2017 1800cc model but a con switches it with a 2017 1500cc model.
If you are looking for a fuel-efficient car, you can go for the Hybrid model of the Axio, the 1500cc engine capacity one is not also bad. It is also important to note that the Fore Wheel drive(FF) models are more fuel-efficient than the All Wheel Drive(AWD) models.
Things to check for when buying an Axio
Here is a list of things that you should look for:
- Ensure that the vehicle general condition is good
- The ignition system should be working effectively
- The engine shouldn’t be noisy
- Body vibration is a sign of a faulty car
- Check for gear shift problems
Maintenance of Toyota Axio in Kenya
Spare parts of the Axio are available in the local market. The car has less maintenance cost too. Here are the tips you can use:
- Read the Owner’s manual to grasp every instruction on the use of the vehicle
- Always check for coolant and oil levels and top if low
- Use clean fuel and replace worn out fuel filters
- You can increase the ground clearance to about 6.5 inches which is the standard requirement on Kenyan roads
- Be a careful driver
- Take the car for maintenance after every 5,000 Kilometers
Toyota Axio FAQs
The 1500cc Axio is fairly good when it comes to fuel consumption, however, you can go for the hybrid model of Axio if you need a high fuel-efficient car.
The cost will vary depending on various factors. That being said, with Ksh 1.3M and above, you will surely get yourself the Axio of your choice.
Yes, Axio is a comfortable car that can be used as a family car.
Above is information about the Toyota Axio. We hope that you found the article helpful. Cheers!!