Toyota Premio is a sedan car available for sale in the Kenyan market. In this article, we will cover everything there is to know about the vehicle. This includes; prices of Toyota Premio models in Kenya, Premio full features, a buying guide and tips on maintenance of the vehicle.
The car is made by Toyota, the Japanese automobile manufacturing company. It was introduced in the market in 2001 and the 2021 model is expected to be the last. The car has two generations, the first generation was produced until 2007 when the second generation was introduced. There have been various facelifts for the vehicle since then. The car is also available in different models as we will see later below.
Toyota Premio features
To understand what this car has to offer let us look at its features. We will cover the specs of Toyota cars available for sale in major Kenyan towns including Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru, Nairobi, Thika and Eldoret.
1. Toyota Premio exterior
The car is a Sedan and has a very attractive design.
Here is a look at the elegant exterior look of the car:
- Has 5 doors( two front, two rear and one for the boot)
- The ground clearance is 160mm which is fairly good
- The wheels either have steel rims or alloy ones(the alloy ones are better)
- Has power side mirrors that can be controlled by the driver
- Additionally, most models come with fog lamps
- Lastly, Toyota Premio has an optional sunroof
2. Toyota Premio interior
Toyota Premio is a luxurious car and this is proven when you look at its interiors.
Below is a list of specs that you have inside Premio models:
- The car is a 5 seater(2 seats in the front and 3 at the back)
- The seats are fitted with headrests and paddled
- The legroom, both the front and back rows are spacious and comfortable even for tall people
- The headroom is also comfortable
- Added to this are the many storage compartments available on the cabin and door panels including cup holders
- The boot can carry medium-sized luggage, the back seats can also be folded to give more boot space
- The car also has an audio system and Navigation system
- Power windows and locks are the next features from Premio
- Keyless entry for the vehicle
- Lastly, the car has a rare camera
As you can see from above, the car is built with comfort in mind and hence best when used as a family car. If you are looking for a multipurpose vehicle, you can check out Toyota Probox.
3. Toyota Premio Engine Specs
The car is not just designed for attractiveness and comfort, it also comes with a powerful engine as we will see below.
Toyota Premio engine specs:
- The car comes with engine capacities of 1500cc, 1800cc and 2000cc
- The average fuel consumption for the 1500cc is 16.6Km/L, that of 1800cc is 15.3Km/L and finally, the 2000cc is 15Km/L
- When it comes to acceleration, the 1500cc accelerates from 0 to 100Km in 11.0 seconds, the 1800cc accelerates from o to 100Km in 10.5 seconds while the 2000cc ones accelerate from 0 to 100Km in 10 seconds
- The power ranges between 109-158pcs, power determines how fast a car is and 200pcs is considered good on the maximum side
- The models come either as 2 Wheel Drive(2WD) or All Wheel Drive(AWD)
- Toyota Premio models come either as CVT(Continuous Variable Transmission) Auto Transmission with few having manual Transmission when it comes to gear types
- The tank capacity of the Premio is 55 Liters
Other features that you will find in the Premio models are the safety ones. This includes Anti-lock Braking System that helps in reducing skidding. Others include; Advanced Emergency Brake System (AEB) City, Traction Control System (TCS), Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Electronic Brake Assist (BA/EBA).
Prices of Toyota Premio Models in Kenya
Here are the prices of Toyota Premio models in Kenya.
- 2015 Model- Ksh 1.7M
- 2016 Model- Ksh 1.9M
- 2017 Model- Ksh 2.0M
- 2018 Model- Ksh 2.2M
- 2019 Model- Ksh 2.45M
- 2020 Model- Ksh 2.5M
- 2021Model- Ksh 2.7M
The prices will definitely vary depending on where you get your car from and other factors. For example, a brand new Premio will not cost the same as a secondhand one. The price of an imported secondhand will also not be the same as that of a new one.
Toyota Premio Buying guide
The first thing one needs to do is decide how much they are willing to spend for the purchase, you should also remember that additional costs will come and are not included in the buying price. This includes the insurance cover cost. After deciding your budget, follow these steps to conveniently get your vehicle.
- Make a list of features you want for your Premio
- Check which models have these features and their price ranges
- See if these prices are within your budget, if not, adjust to models close to your specs and within the budget
- Confirm that the state in which you want the car in(either new or secondhand) is within your budget
- Decide whether to source the car locally or to import it
- Proceed to look for a seller or dealer
- Be careful, cons do exist, do not accept online-only deals
- If it is secondhand, involve the mechanic to perform checks on its conditions
Sourcing a car locally is simple and does not require a lot of processes, however, the condition of local secondhand cars might be deteriorated compared to a Secondhand imported from Japan. Importing will take a lot of time and you have to go through many procedures, this might need you to do it through a dealer to ease the process.
Also see: Toyota Rush full review
Some of the problems reported with Toyota Premio include sluggish acceleration, consumption of fuel beyond average, consumption of fuel above average. ignition problems. gearbox problems and Engine noise. Most of the problems can however be prevented by maintenance and timely service.
Things you should check for
- Check on the general condition of the vehicle(interior, exterior and engine)
- Makes sure that the car ignition system is working seamlessly
- The engine should not be noisy
- Check for gear shifting problems
- The car should accelerate first and not Sluggishly
- There should not be body vibration and shaking.
Toyota Premio maintenance tips
Like most Toyota cars, Premio maintenance is generally low cost. Spare parts are available in the local market. With good care, the car can serve you for long. Here are some maintenance tips:
- Read the Owner’s Manual for instructions on how to handle the vehicle
- Take the car for service after every 5,000Kms
- You can increase the ground clearance especially due to bumps
- Drive carefully to avoid accidents
- Fuel filters should not be worn out, also, avoid dirty fuel
- Always check for the oil and coolant level and top up if low
When it comes to fuel consumption, Premio can be classified as average. The 1500cc engine should be your pick since it is the most fuel-efficient among the available engine capacities of Premio.
Year, Premio is comfortable and a good pick for a family car.
This car is best suited for the car higher business.
Prices will vary depending on various factors. The price of a brand new Premio can go up to Ksh 3M while a Secondhand one will start from 1M.
Above is a look at Toyota Premio, one of the top Sedan cars in Kenya. We hope that this information was helpful. Cheers!!